Monday, July 20, 2009

Easy on sweets!

To continue with my sweet tooth issues.... I'd like to talk about my all time favorite dessert.... its the simple mix of evaporated milk, condensed milk, eggs and caramelized sugar on top... and it's known all over the Philippines as mouthwatering and sinful Leche flan!.

This dessert was introduced by the Spaniards during the conquest more than 300 years ago....and due to the abundance of this recipe's ingredients in the country you can see this on every dining table during fiesta's, birthdays or any other occasions...indeed, this is an heirloom recipe truly loved by Pinoy's. They say that, in the past they used Carabao's milk and eggs of native chicken to get a rich and creamy Leche flan...

In Mexico, they also have a similar recipe but with a tinge of Lime or Lemon (I guess it's pretty similar to ours since we also add some citrus flavorings), also in France, England they also have recipe's like the Leche Flan. Spanish cuisine has really made an impact in the world of gastronomy...

One of my Grannie's .... "Lola Doning" used to make Leche Flan even on ordinary days.. for as long as she crave for it she will make it without any hesitation... as this is also her favorite...and during special occasions she prepares a wide array of desserts! (too bad, I wasn't born at that time, I missed the chance to munch on those desserts)...she once said "I'm not afraid to die...for as long as I'm satisfied on what i eat!".....indeed!... she died at an early age because of Diabetes...It's one sweet sad story!....but her sweet unique recipe's lives on!....

Photos courtesy of Misadventures of Little J's http://www.flickr.com/photos/razon/3554959952/

No comments:

Post a Comment