Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mom's original recipe

I grew up eating on this rice cake that consist of "pilit" (glutinous) rice, coconut milk, (muscovado) sugar, calamansi zest and topped with caramelized topping called "latik"......added with cheese and peanuts on top then baking it again to make the crust crunchy.

I used to be the assistant of my Mom making the "BIKO" (bee-koh) Before, it was really a toilsome effort doing it compared today that all the ingredients are readily available!... I'm the one assigned extracting the coconut milk!....plus the stirring of the "latik" until it thickens!.... it was a pure workout then! Hence i got a well toned shoulder muscles LOL!....but it has given me the patience and the discipline on what I'm doing... looking back at those times really brings back memories...

Recently, I came across another BIKO recipe with Jackfruit tidbits!...........the taste and aroma is Divine!.. will be posting out the recipe soon on this blog........... but nothing compares with my Mom's original recipe....it was a big hit to us and to all her friends.....all thanks to Her!

Cheers!

Photo courtesy of aJ Gazmen

1 comment:

  1. yum.
    i love 2 versions of this: my mom's recipe with ''lunok'' toppings (the precipitate left after extracting the coconut oil) and the one with dayap shavings :)

    ReplyDelete